Thursday, May 8, 2008

Reading, Learning, and Destroying

When I was a junior in high school my first period class I was actually a T.A for Mr. Vargas; a Spanish teacher that I previously had my freshman year. I chose him because I knew his aides had it chill. I'd pick up his mail every morning from the office then sit infront of one of the computers in the room either doing homework that I didn't finish, study, eat, sleep, or surf the net. I suppose I occasionally graded papers and tests, but he'd usually ask me if I wasn't too busy doing anything else.

One of the sites that I came across when I wasn't giving kids F's for not conjugating verbs correctly was EVILMONITO. I don't remember exactly what attracted me to this online magazine (one of the few of its kind at the time), but I just remember scouring through the pages and being amazed by its contents. Perhaps it was the theme of deconstructing pop culture. I have to give credit to Mr. Kim and EM for introducing me to things that I am in fact still into today. The magazine content on the site itself has been on hiatus since 2005 and things have definitely grown since then. As an avid fan of this site, I invite you to take a look at the new things brewing at EVILMONITO. Be prepared to read, learn, and destroy.

No comments: