Saturday, May 19, 2007

Lily Allen: Cheeky Brit and fellow Dork

Awhile back, carmeL burnt me a copy of Lily Allen's debut Alright, Still. This was probably back in March and I didn't start listening to it until mid-April. I haven't been able to listen to anything else since! I listened to it so much that two songs skip now. Yep, I'm that obsessed. I went out and bought her album because having a burnt copy that skips was not satisfying enough!

Lily Allen is my wake-up in the morning-get ready music, shower music and gym music. All her poppy-R&B fused songs are upbeat enough to keep me going on the eliptical for 35 (and sometimes 50) minutes. I even bought 'Knock 'Em Out' as my ringtone for unknown callers.

She's a Brit, so naturally she's quite cheeky. My favortie song on the album is 'Everything's Just Wonderful' which is pretty much a big "F-You" to the government and society's perception on certain issues like women's body images.

The lyrics I like from that song are:
I wanna be able to eat spaghetti bolognaise,
and not feel bad about it for days and days and days.
In the magazines they talk about weight loss
If I buy those jeans I can look like Kate Moss
Oh no it's not the life I chose,
But I guess that's the way that things go

Alright, Still is an amazing debut. Whether she's singing about a bad break up with a guy who lacks in the size department, her weed smoking kid brother, or grandma who still buys tampons just 'cause she has coupons, I find myself singing along (often loudly), bopping my head and shaking my rhythmically-challenged booty to the beat.

If you have yet to hear Lily Allen, I suggest you leave this page and Google her or check out her MySpace! Plus Lily's got some Okee Dorkee cred too; she recorded her first single 'Smile' in Simlish -- the language characters in the Sims games speak. Check out both versions below . . .








No comments: